Sunday, December 6, 2015

Christmas in downtown Rochester

I was looking at the Christmas decorations at Greece Ridge Mall today, which in my opinion, are not very good (there's nothing magical about wrapped Christmas presents). It made me reminisce about my own childhood Christmas in Rochester, NY. My mom always took me downtown to see the decorations and Santa Claus at Midtown Plaza, Sibley's Dept. Store, and Edward's Dept. Store. The memory I remember the most and loved the most is Sibley's Toyland. It was a magical and fun place.

When you were downtown, at Christmas time, it felt like Christmas. Tons of people carrying Sibley's and McCurdy's shopping bags, people bundled up to keep warm, buses whizzing by on Main Street, decorated store window displays, the buildings all lit up, the Salvation Army bell-ringers at the store's entrance. There was excitement in the air. You can't get that at the mall. I wish I had a wand to bring it all back, but sadly, it's not ever coming back.

Sibley's at Christmas

Entrance to Toyland, Sibley's

Toyland Sibley's
Perhaps at Sibley's or Edward's?
Sibley's window display
McCurdy's window display
Edward's Dept. Store
Midtown Plaza at Christmas
Entrance to Midtown Plaza

No comments: